Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Ethnography Proposal

I've decided to expand on my idea of studying how many people take free samples in a grocery store without buying the product.

Group studied:
Ideally I plan on studying a representative cross-section of grocery shoppers in the College Station area.

Expect to learn:
I expect to learn if there are products that are purchased more regularly after being sampled.  I also expect to see if there is any correlation between people who take free samples and age/gender/race/etc.

Time per week:
I will simply have to go to a grocery store for at least two hours in a week.  I will likely have to break up the time into smaller chunks, because I'm pretty sure that some guy watching the same spot for two hours would make people nervous.

Quantitative data:
I would record the total number of people taking free samples and how many of those then purchased the product (that is, how many then put the item into their cart/basket, as I'm not going to follow people through the entire store to see if they buy the item or not).

Qualitative data:
Observe how many people consider purchasing an item, and how many are just there for the free food (i.e. how many people walk away from the display before even tasting what they have).

Interaction:
At this time I don't plan on interacting with the test subjects, but I could ask store employees if they notice any trends concerning people who receive free samples.

No comments:

Post a Comment