Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Book Reading #23 - Opening Skinner's Box

Reference:
Opening Skinner's Box
Lauren Slater
2004 W. W. Norton & Company

Summary:
Slater covers Harry Harlowe's experiments on monkeys.  These experiments were geared to determine what level of contact was sufficient in rearing a baby monkey.  Initial findings showed that a soft surrogate "mother" was sufficient, but were later revised to include motion and some play once the surrogate babies began to display abnormal behavior.

Discussion:
I must admit that about halfway through the chapter, when Harlowe was delivering his first triumphant speech, I thought to myself "I don't buy this 'surrogate alone is sufficient' rhetoric."  When it was revealed that these monkeys were greatly disturbed, I felt vindicated.  By and large, I have found that studies either confirm what common sense suggests, or they're wrong.  On a different note, I think that instead of "Would you pick your child over an animal," a better question would be "Would you pick your pet over a stranger?"  I wonder how Slater would answer this question.

No comments:

Post a Comment