Thursday, February 3, 2011

Book Reading #10: Opening Skinner's Box

Reference:
Opening Skinner's Box
Lauren Slater
2004 W. W. Norton & Company

Summary:
In 1961, Dr. Stanley Milgram performed a study of obedience.  He recruited test subjects by telling them they were participating in a study of learning, then had them quiz the "learners" while administering electric shocks for incorrect answers.  Even though the learners appeared to become more and more agitated as the electric shocks became more and more powerful, 65% of the test subjects would continue to administer the shocks based on the orders they were given.  While the data collected showed that some groups were somewhat more likely to continue administering the shocks, there were no conclusive findings in the data.

Discussion:
While the implications of this study are fascinating, I feel I must address some of the presumptuous statements that the author made.  First of all, it came as a shock to find that since my father works for Exxon, he is a bad man.  I grant that she didn't make any explicit statements on the sinister nature of Big Oil, but when considering how she repeatedly stated how she was surprised how the defiant individual worked for Exxon, I think my analysis is sound.  I happen to know for a fact that, in spite of working for Exxon, my father is not a bad man.  He provides for his family and works tirelessly to sustain our quality of life.  Believe it or not, Exxon is not out to gouge people at the pumps, as my father's work helps prevent gas prices from soaring.

Secondly, the author is clearly strongly biased against war.  There's no getting around the fact that war is hell.  This does not, however, mean that war is necissarily amoral.  For example, Slater mentions that following this experiment one of the 65% became a consiensence objector to "the war," which I assume refers to Vietnam.  That would place this individual as a part of the group that won the public opinion in the US, leading to congressional refusal to support South Vietnam during the North's offensive following the Paris Peace Accords.  America pulled out of Vietnam and the South fell.  Then comes the part that nobody likes to talk about.  Nobody likes to talk about mass killings and ethnic cleansings by the Communist states that followed the fall of Saigon.  Nobody like to talk about the one and a half million people slain in Cambodia.  Nobody likes to talk about how this shouldn't have been a big surprise, because nobody likes to talk about about the fact that people had a habit of dying under Communist rule (10-20 million under Stalin and 40-70 million un Mao, just to name a couple).  So I ask, which is the lesser evil: fighting a war against an enemy that would cut down anyone in their path, or pulling out of a war with the same people.

Thirdly, when WWII vet Joshua talks about the "SOB Japs" that he captured during the way, the author is clearly at the least shocked, at the most appauled by Joshua's un-PC language.  I wouldn't condone that description at any other time, given the context and given what I know about Japan during WWII I don't have any big problem with it.  Several years ago I had the opportunity of reading the debriefing of a relative who served in the Pacific theater.  He was captured by the Japanese and ended up in a Philippine POW camp.  He then took part in a little something called the Bataan Death March.  I won't go into the details, but believe me when I say that debriefing was one of the hardest things I've ever read.  Let's just say that Joshua's description of the people he was fighting was one of the gentler descriptions he could have used.

1 comment:

  1. I agree the author was letting her politics show a little bit, and they were kind of flaky, but I think you missed the biggest weakness of this chapter: The experiment was meaningless. He got one of his results right, and in light of that we see where the study failed.

    The point he hit on was that actions are determined by context. Remember that the participants that had signed up for the study had done so *knowing* that it was a study. Even if it wasn't conscious, they knew it was an environment where it was incredibly, incredibly unlikely anyone would harm anyone in the deliberately callous manner being shown here; far more plausible would have been that something was going on they didn't understand, but the guy in charge knew what he was doing and no one was actually going to be harmed (spoiler: no one was harmed). They didn't fail the "not a Nazi" test; they passed an evaluation of their situation.

    Let me sum that up: They knew they were a controlled situation. The fact that there was a double layer of controlled situation masquerading as a murder masquerading as a controlled situation doesn't change the fact that the underlying situation *was* controlled, if you can follow that. Accordingly, no conclusions can be accurately drawn on the intended data; I know that my response to the situation as was presented would have been different than if it had been outside the context of volunteering for an experiment, and I am sure that a lot of other people would have a similar disconnect.

    In light of that, I really don't understand why people insist that this gives us some great insight into the human psyche. I was absolutely shocked at the portion of the class that felt they learned something from reading about the experiment. I guess I just read in a fundamentally different way from most people; when someone tries to convince me of something I automatically take the other view and won't buy into theirs unless it really stands up well to me trying to poke holes in it. Unfortunately, I think many people take way too much at face value.

    So, having said all that, I'm going to come back to the point you actually made. She divided the folks who took the test into the "good" people who refused to complete the experiment and the "bad" people who did. As I think I have demonstrated above, this distinction *itself* is nonsense and not just the way she divides the occupations she thinks should have been "good" or "bad". That is, you were right, but you just didn't take it far enough.

    As long as I've gone on this long, I may as well note that the analogy to the Holocaust is very, very flawed as well. It wasn't a case of regular people doing things they weren't comfortable with under orders; much of the German population wholeheartedly supported the war/genocide because they bought into various racist and hyper-nationalist theories and ideas. I'm sure there is some way to design an experiment related to that somehow, but Milgram's "electrocution" machine is not it.

    I have strong opinions on Vietnam, "Jap SOBs", etc as well but I think this post is already long enough.

    --JIP

    ReplyDelete