Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Book Reading #13: Opening Skinner's Box

Reference:
Opening Skinner's Box
Lauren Slater
2004 W. W. Norton & Company

Summary:
In 1972, David Rosenhan conducted an experiment in which he and eight others attempted to get committed to a mental institution.  Upon achieveing this first objective, the "patients" would then revert to their normal personalities.  Rosenhan was trying to determine the ease and consequences of obtaining a misdiagnosis from psychiatrists.  His results had a profound effect on the field of psychiatry, resulting in many changes that can be observed to this day. 

Discussion:
While I acknowledge that psychiatry is at least an imprecise science, I find myself agreeing with Spitzer and his defense of the field.  I've had enough medical problems to give me an intimate knowledge of medical examinations, and it has always been stressed that total honesty is cruicial to a correct diagnosis.  In a profession where a diagnosis entirely hinges on the behavior and commnentary of an individual, it is no great surprise that false information leads to an erronious diagnosis.  In the more recent experiments carried out by the author, I believe that an unrecognized factor was in part responsible for her misdiagnoses.  I think that the doctors decided that it was safer to diagnose a patient and prescribe medication than to refuse treatment and risk a malpractice suit.  I could be totally wrong on this, but considering the volume of frivilous lawsuits in the court system I am content with this hypothesis.

No comments:

Post a Comment