Thursday, February 24, 2011

Book Reading #26 - Opening Skinner's Box

Reference:
Opening Skinner's Box
Lauren Slater
2004 W. W. Norton & Company

Summary:
Bruce Alexander questions the notion that drug addiction is caused by physiological dependencies.  He experiments with two groups of rats provided with normal and morphine-laced water.  One group is put into small, cramped cages, while the other is put into a veritable rodent paradise.  The rats in poor conditions would often drink the drugged water, while the pampered rats generlly avoided it.  This leads Alexander to conclude that social standings and conditions are the causes of drug addiction. 

Discussion:
Being such a strong believer in free will and personal accountability, I find Alexander's conclusions a bit hard to swallow.  Certain conditions may lead to substance abuse, but I don't believe that necissarily excuses people who succumb to the temptation.  In addition, I would argue that there is certainly an element of chemical dependency in drug addiction.  One late night/early morning about two years ago I would up in the ER with what I was sure was appenicitis. When I was finally admitted five hours later, I was in agony.  I was given a half-dose of morphine intreveinously to ease the pain, and after about three seconds I hardly had a care in the world.  It's powerful stuff, and I definitely see how easy developing an addiction would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment