Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Book Reading #29 - Opening Skinner's Box

Reference:
Opening Skinner's Box
Lauren Slater
2004 W. W. Norton & Company

Summary:
Elizabeth Loftus tests the accuracy of memory.  She finds that, with a minimal amount of suggestion, it is possible to create vivid, detailed, and entirely false memories in a person.  She was able to 'implant' false memories of being lost in a shopping mall as a child in approximately 25% of research participants.

Discussion:
Nothing I haven't heard before, but still a very interesting subject.  I have often been told that I have a good memory, but I still often question my recollection of events.  In the past few years, I've had multiple occasions where someone would tell a story and I would find my recollection to be different.  I don't know how many cases were a result of embellishment or purposeful alteration of the story, but in more that a few cases the storyteller really believed that events happened the way they describes.  I usually am able to corrobarate my recollection with others, so assuming I wasn't influencing their memories at all, it would seem that I have a better than average memory.  On the other hand, I'm a lousy storyteller, hate exaggerating, and will typically admit if I'm not 100% sure of something.  This makes me wonder if people who are better storytellers are more apt to remembering something incorrectly.
P.S. I have my own "lost in the mall" story.  When I was young, my family went to some kind of fair.  One of the attractions was a large group of hot air balloons.  Apparently at some point my parents were watching them, and I wandered off.  Fortunately, they found me before too long.  Now, I know that this happened and I've seen pictures of the event.  Despite this, I have absolutely no recollection of such an event happening.  I guess I'm part of the 75%.

No comments:

Post a Comment