Monday, January 31, 2011

Book Reading #5: The Design of Everyday Things - Chapter 2

Reference:
The Design of Everyday Things
Donald A. Norman
Basic Books 1988

Summary:
When people make errors while using unintuitive devices, they tend to blame themselves rather than the device.  As a result, flaws with the design of a product will often go unreported, since the user isn't likely to file a complaint.  In addition, people will often mistake correlation for causation when experiencing errors with a product.  To help reduce these avoidable errors, Norman suggests using the seven stages of an action as an effective design principle.

Discussion:
Norman gets it right again.  I have had more than one experience when I've been thwarted by a seeming simple product.  For example, last semester I was giving a presentation on my professor's Apple laptop.  I've always been a PC user, so when the presentation was over I found that the mousepad on the Apple, when combined with the fatigue of the all nighter I had just pulled to finish the presentation, rendered me unable to close the program.  I eventually figured out that I had been using the wrong area of the mousepad, but as Apple mouses have only one button, I was unable to comprehend my error until it was too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment